Vapor Ministries

James 4:14b states that "You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." "Only one life t'will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last." - John Piper. We all have a ministry during our vapor time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Married with four children, about to be five. CGS (Certificate of Graduate Studies) from Seminary, pursuing MS in History. Interests are history, theology, adoption, missions, Karate, and French language.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Dr. Sam: Present with the Lord


The time I spent with Dr. Sam Annankra can be counted in a few hours, but those hours were more valuable than gold. There are a few people whose spiritual impact on me has been so meaningful that it bore an impact on major direction in my life, but the quintessential person in that regard was Dr. Sam. For those that do not know him, he was one of our church partners in Ghana, Africa who was instrumental in much of the work our church has done with the Ghanaian people, both in Ghana and in America. Dr. Sam went to be with the Lord today.

I don’t know if he was a Calvinist, a Baptist, a premillennialist, or a Pentecostal. I do know that he was a husband to Esther, a father to many (biological and adopted), a pediatrician, a medical missionary, a colonel, and most importantly, a servant of God. This man was consumed with the Lord, and to define it as a 24/7 desire to serve the Lord would be accurate.

Two stories stand out of this man’s impact on our family. The first was when we were considering a major decision and the time and costs involved. Sam told us, “You don’t wait for the blessing to obey God, you obey first and God will provide the blessing.” This statement and this truth from Scripture helped us move forward with the decision to adopt our daughter from China. The second was when one of our mission teams was having difficulty with some plane tickets and needed the airline to make an exception that was not normally granted. Dr. Sam advised them to tell the airline that, “we serve the Most High God and need these tickets to be refundable……and we need a discount.” The ticket problem was worked out in a miraculous way. This taught me that not only should we know that our God can work things out for His will, but that we should be telling the whole world that we serve a God who will work things out for His will. Dr. Sam spent his vapor time well.
Our friend, Cyndi has a great post about Dr. Sam on her blog if you want to know a little more about him. Do you have a Dr. Sam story? Please add it in the comments section.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tricia said...

We didn't have the privilege of meeting Dr. Sam, but we have had the wonderful opportunity to hear stories about him and we were inspired by him just by hearing about him. I couldn't help but think on Paul's words in 2 Timothy when I heard of his passing...."For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

10:33 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

My heart is broken, but God is so good. How blessed we are that God allowed us to know a real life Christian hero. A man of God who truly was extraordinary. A man who Christ shined through so radiantly in this life that the whole world seems a little dimmer without him here.

Dr. Sam truly was my hero, and I'm so thankful for the inspiration that he was to me and to so many. In the words of a friend, "He went out running....none of us know how long we have here, and we should all go out running."

Dr. Sam did fight the good fight, he finished the race, and he kept the faith.

"Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, imitate their faith" (Hebrews 13:5)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

This was an e-mail received by many of us, shortly before he lost his battle with liver disease.

From: SAM ANNANKRA
SUBJECT – “YOU ARE PRECIOUS & HONOURED IN HIS SIGHT”


Isaiah 43:1-4


Dear friends, brothers and sisters.

Grace and Peace to you in Christ Jesus.

I pray that as your spiritual life prospers so is your health and life.

I write to ask your prayer covering as I have had to battle a recurrence of liver disease over the last three (3) months.


The situation has been rather relentless of late and I am lacking DRIVE and ENERGY to work. This is accompanied by pain over my liver area.

Pray for complete healing so that I can move on with KINGDOM BUSINESS. There is so much to do.


God is good, gracious and compassionate and abounding in mercy.

As I pray for you – do lift me up to the REAL FATHER – ABBA FATHER.


I love you all.


Your co–worker.


SAM



PS – Pass this on to others as led by the spirit.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home